Mat leave is wonderful and hard. The second time around it’s definitely more work. The first time around, I don’t remember ever making/preparing dinner before 5pm or doing dishes for that matter. These days I am constantly multitasking and with that I fight for my personal time. I need it for myself and for my family.
On the hard days, I want to remind myself on ways to pick myself up. So here goes:
1. Consume something positive or uplifting: My go-tos are an inspiring Ted Talk, Pod Cast or listening to my summer play list. I know I’ve been discussing and trying to understand #CreateMoreThanYouConsume but when the thing you are consuming is positive and uplifting I really believe it pushes you to create something. You’ll have a smile on your face, you’ll be filled with inspiration or you’ll actually create something to deliver what you’ve learned. Here, here and here are somethings I’ve consumed worth sharing.
2. Drink water: and lots of it. When I am feeling blah, a light goes off in my head “drink more water, drink water now, finish that entire bottle and then refill it”. So without thinking I do just that. On some level I think it’s my brain or unconscious self saying, get rid of the toxins and you’ll start to feel more content.
3. Exercise: Whether it’s a stroller walk in the mall or run on the treadmill while the baby sleeps, stop procrastinating and do it. The endorphins will kick in and you’ll have an automatic smile on your face.
4. Journal: Right now, I have two journals of choice. One for gratitude/intention/affirmations/positive thinking and another for day planning/bullet journaling. I use them to both start and end my day as well as keep me focused on things I want to accomplish.
5. Get Outside: Fresh air does wonders. Even if it’s only 5 minutes of sitting in the warmth of the sun. The babe will be mesmerized by something in nature which will give you a few minutes to yourself :)